Friday, November 28, 2014

My first Thyrsus is finished, at last

Let me just start off by saying I MEANT to go see Mockingjay tonight.  I drove to a restaurant near the theater for dinner, left just in time to get tickets, and then... an itch, like I can't describe.  Not a physical itch.  A spiritual itch.  Like Dionysos tickling my soul's feet with a feather, driving me crazier by the minute. I skipped the theater and drove home.

The thyrsus has been about two months in progress.  I acquired the base staff a few months ago, but only about two months ago did I bring it to my dad's shop to start actually preparing it.  He helped me sand it, stain it, apply polyurethane to the shaft and the cone, and attach the cone.  I then brought it home, and promptly procrastinated attaching the ribbons and actually blessing the thing.  I guess Dionysos got impatient, because that happened tonight.

The ritual was a fairly standard ritual, with the exception of the actual working.  For the working, I poured a glass of wine, calling upon it as the blood of Dionysos.  I then cut my own finger just deeply enough to get a few drops of blood from it, and mixed those with the wine.  That mixture was then used to coat and bless the thyrsus, with a prayer that I wrote:

I call to the rushing Bull God.
I call to the Thrice Born.
I call to the Giver of Madness.
Let he who leads the throngs become Dionysos.
Bestow your blessings upon this staff, upon this cone, upon this thyrsus.

Mighty Zagreus!
By your blood and mine, let the bearer of this, your thyrsus, know the paths through the underworld.
Mighty Zagreus!
By your blood and mine, let the bearer of this, your thyrsus, know sparagmos and rebirth.
Mighty Zagreus:
By your blood and mine, let the bearer of this, your thyrsus, know the fires and lightening of the heavens.

Mighty Bromios!
By your blood and mine, let the bearer of this, your thyrsus, know the freedom of childhood.
Mighty Bromios!
By your blood and mine, let the bearer of this, your thyrsus, know the love of and for Semele and Ariadne.
Mighty Bromios!
By your blood and mine, let the bearer of this, your thyrsus, know the paths through the underworld and to Olympus, sharing with you your godhood.

Mighty Iakchos!
By your blood and mine, let the bearer of this, your thyrsus, follow the torches upon the initiate's path.
Mighty Iakchos!
By your blood and mine, let the bearer of this, your thyrsus, gaze deep into the mask without fear.
Mighty Iakchos!
By your blood and mine, let the bearer of this, your thyrsus, know the mysteries you have given.

Dionysos, Zagreus, Bromios, Iakchos!
Bestow your magic upon this thyrsus.
Bestow your blessing upon this thyrsus.
Bestow your power upon this thyrsus.

Let the bearer of this become Dionysos--
     See with your eyes,
     Speak with your voice,
     Hear with your ears,
     Know with your mind.

Let the bearer of this work your wonders in the world.
By your blood spilled, by my blood mingled--
ESTO!

Nine times was the wine/blood mixture rubbed into the staff--three times for Zagreus, three times for Bromios, three times for Iakchos.  I then stood with the thyrsus in hand for... who knows how long (my cat started mewling pitifully from the bathroom in which he was locked to prevent him from chasing the ribbons).  Closed the rite, put a bandaid on my finger, and took a picture of the staff.

The offering I gave to Dionysos this time was some of the Orphic incense powder formulated for use by the Thiasos of the Starry Bull.  And when the seller says a little goes a long way... she means it.  I did not have charcoal, so I formed a small mound (half an inch high and about an inch around) and lit the top.  It's still burning an hour later, and my entire apartment smells wonderfully heady and rich.

I very rarely work any kind of... magic, outside from that involved in opening and closing the gates.  I blessed some wine for friends a few months ago, and I bless my own ritual tools, but that's about it.  This particular working was... distinctly powerful.  The only part that made me nervous was cutting my own finger--it proved to be difficult, as the knife was apparently not very sharp.  I never use my own blood in other rituals, though, so I'm not too worried about finding a better way to do that.

All in all, though, I'd say it was an exceedingly successful rite.  Now let's see what kind of mischief I can get up to...


4 comments:

  1. Sounds great. Tell me something, though. How did you attach the pine cone?

    I've had two attached to mine, one real and one a plaster finial from a drapery rod. In both cases, it's come flying off while dancing during ritual. Fortunately, I haven't hit anyone in the face with a flying plaster finial--just the real cone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a small, quarter-inch diameter dowel in it, about two inches long. We drilled a hole in the pine cone, drilled a hole in the staff, filled both holes with carpenter's glue, and put the dowel in both. The glue dried for about 3 days, and then... golden. I'll be able to remove the dowel and attach another pine cone if need be, too.

      Delete
  2. Looks and sounds wonderful!
    It can be tricky doing bloodletting. In the past I've used disposable blades or pins (both sanitized by flame) for blood letting.
    Apparently you can buy pricking things from the chemists that diabetics use, I haven't seen them though.
    ~Markos Gage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic, and I especially love the prayer that you wrote!! Thank you for sharing!

    I also tried to use a knife the first time I did a blood offering, and had difficulties with it!

    ReplyDelete